“Chai School” meets the challenge of providing a meaningful Jewish education for adolescent age students (Grades 7 – 12) by allowing them to design their own program of study! Chai School meets on Tuesday nights throughout the school year from 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM and includes:
- A pizza dinner!
- A community of teens.
- Facing similar issues.
- Learning to apply Jewish values in their everyday lives.
- Discussing how to see the world through a Jewish lens.
- Asking tough questions in a safe environment.
S.T.O.P. (Students Together Opposing Prejudice is a youth education and leadership initiative teaching teens how to confront stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination. S.T.O.P. addresses all forms of discrimination and prejudice, including prejudice based on race, gender, sexual orientation, physical appearance, class, disability, background and religion. Traditionally, sessions are held in houses of worship to give the participants an opportunity to learn about different beliefs, besides their own, but non-religious organizations are also involved.
Tenth grade is our Confirmation year, a special time to develop a relationship with our rabbis, our Youth Educator and our Congregation. Weekly classes taught by Rabbi Gurevitz, Rabbi Eiduson and Debbi Morin are designed to bring the entirety of the students’ Jewish Education into better focus. A highlight of this year includes a four-day trip to the L’Taken Social Justice Seminar in Washington D.C. (March 4 – March 7, 2016) sponsored by the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism. The Confirmation Service will take place at 7:00 pm, Tuesday, May 30, 2017.
Judaism is a great adventure, but it’s our adventure! Everything you wanted to know about Judaism, but were afraid to ask is the theme of the Post Confirmation Year. Classroom sessions will be a forum for a wide range of topics based on student-submitted questions. Each session will take us in a different direction and students bring questions, no holds barred, and we go at it. Students travel together to Philadelphia every other year and engage in a seminar in American Jewish History! Rabbis Gurevitz and Eiduson share the teaching of our Post Confirmation program!
High School Senior Scholarship Information!
High school seniors who live in Worcester County can start now to apply for the Leroy Weiner Scholarship (For Jewish students who are members of Congregation B’nai Shalom in Westborough, MA.) and all other scholarships available through the Greater Worcester Community Foundation! For students who do NOT live in Worcester County, before you spend time on our scholarship application, find out if you’re eligible to apply. To receive 99% of the available scholarships, you MUST be a resident of Worcester County, Massachusetts. There are a few exceptions that make up the remaining 1%. These include scholarships for the children of specific companies and organizations that have scholarship funds at the foundation. Click HERE for more information!
These teens are transformed into role models, into leaders, whose young students look up to them. Confidence, pride, meaning, and a renewed passion for learning – that’s what this program creates for our teens. Madrichim prepare lessons, lead small group discussions and tutor children in Hebrew, introduce exciting games to review classroom material, provide a safe and loving environment for every student, make it “cool” to be Jewish, and bring a sense of ruach (spirit) to the classroom, youth events, and retreats.