Congregation B'nai Shalom Sisterhood
Sisterhood is looking forward to an extremely exciting and productive year. Through a variety of social and religious action programs, we invite you to be part of this passionate group of women who come together to benefit the temple and our community.
Book Group on August 25 at 7:00 pm, Library
Please join us to discuss The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, an immigrant tale combining Jewish and Arab folk mythology. Two supernatural creatures arrive in New York in 1899. One is a golem, created of clay by a disgraced rabbi who dabbles in Kabbalistic magic; the other is jinni, a being of fire created by a Bedouin wizard centuries ago. Their friendship and intertwining stories offer unique views of the immigrant experience, religion, and what it means to be human.
Upcoming High Holy Day and Beyond volunteer and participation opportunities:
- Rosh Hashanah 2nd day lunch - Sisterhood will provide a lovely dairy lunch to congregants and their families following services
- Yom Kippur Break the Fast - Please join your congregational following Ne'liah services for a full dairy break-the-fast
- Sukkot - Sisterhood will provide dinner for our synagogue's sukkot celebration
Contact if you would like to assist and/or attend.
- Book Club - First book for the fall: The History of Love by Nicole Krauss, October 21
- Friday, January 23 - Sisterhood Shabbat.
- Saturday, March 14 - Our 6th Annual Women's Kallah
- Thursday, March 26 - Our beautiful Annual Women's Seder
Some of our past activities:
- Book Club evening
- Chanukah party, with gifts going to a women's shelter
- Sisterhood Shabbat Service
- Visit to Mayyim Hayyim in Newton
- A social night, playing bunko and enjoying snacks
- Annual Passover Women's Seder with a record turnout
- And much, much more
To improve and enrich the Congregation's Friday evening Oneg experience, our Sisterhood coordinates Onegs. Please see the section on Coordination of Friday Night Oneg to learn more about this exciting and important activity!
See the calendar on the home page for scheduled events.
To join, download the membership form and complete it.
Please make your membership check payable to Congregation B'nai Shalom Sisterhood
Membership Dues: $36 Member, $54 Sponsor, $72 Benefactor
Please mail your completed application and dues to:
6 Dana Road
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
Please contact co-Presidents or if you are interested in learning more about Sisterhood.
Dear Sisterhood members,
To improve and enrich the Congregation's Friday evening Oneg experience, our Sisterhood coordinates Onegs. The office still assigns the four household members to "host" the Oneg, but we've added a Sisterhood member to serve as "captain" of the evening. A fuller description of the captain's duties and timeline can be found in Oneg Captain Duties-Timeline and Checklist. Briefly, an Oneg captain will:
- Receive the names and contact information for Oneg hosts two weeks prior to the Oneg.
The captain contacts each co-host to review the host's duties, timeline, and food(s) selections.
- Meet the Oneg hosts 30 minutes before the start of Friday's service to help them set-up the Social Hall.
- Stay approximately 30 minutes after the end of the Oneg to help the hosts clean-up the Social Hall and Kitchen.
We urgently need your help to make our commitment successful each week. We are asking all Sisterhood members to select 2 or more Friday evenings to act as an Oneg captain. Fear not! Experienced captains will train and support you every step of the way. You can even co-select dates with a friend! Please contact one of the co-Presidents by clicking on the email links above.
Thank you in advance for fulfilling this important mitvah! We have received extremely positve feedback thus far from the congregation and are proud to be providing this wonderful service to the congregation!
Janice and Cheryl
Janice Hirshon & Cheryl Kasof